Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Learning Different

I am really worried about A2.  We are less than 15 days away from sending her off to kindergarten and I don't think she is ready.  Socially, she is ready, but academically she is behind.

I am still fighting an internal struggle with the fact that someone could be behind academically before they even start their real academic career. I am not saying that preschool isn't real, but in my opinion preschool should be about playing and getting along in the world without their parents hovering.  But that is for another day...

Back to A2

When A1 went to kindergarten she knew all the letters by name and sound, she could write her first and last name, she could read the first 50 Frye Sight Words, she was able to count to 100 and identify all of her numbers.  She knew our address, my phone number, her birthday, and the birthday of A2. She was beyond ready for school. She didn't struggle with anything academically. School has been a breeze for her.

I know I shouldn't compare the two girls, but I haven't ever been one to always do only what I am supposed to do. A2 shows very little interest in learning memorizing these little facts.  She sometimes can write her name and remember to include all of the letters.  Some days she can identify uppercase letters. We have worked every day this summer on identifying numbers.  She has mastered all 0-10 except that tricky 8.  She doesn't recognize any sight words. She doesn't know my phone number.  We have been working on that, as well as our address, since last March. 

A2 learns different than A1. This special education teacher mommy picked up on that many years ago. Our entire family has gotten behind A2's learning differences. We have created songs and chants to help her remember things. A1 even came up with a trick for our address.  She told her to picture a boat floating in clean water with one of our babysitters sitting in the boat.  This caused a lot of giggles, but my goodness it worked! She could at least remember our street name.

Even with all of the extra help we have given her, nothing seems to stick.  I worry that she is going to struggle the entire time she is in school.  I don't want things to be hard for her.  I don't want her to hate school.  These are all the things I worry about when I am not sleeping. I have already diagnosed her with a learning disability and ADD. I can't be the only special education teacher to diagnose her own children, right!?!

Last night, she wanted to sleep in my room. Usually I would have her sleep on the floor, but since the floor is covered with laundry baskets filled clean laundry, I knew it wasn't an option. I told her she could sleep in my room, if she answered one question correct; "What is our address?" At first she pouted.  Then she started tapping out the beat of our chant.  Then she closed her eyes, she was picturing Lane in a boat in clean water. Then she smiled and she proudly recited our address.  Not only was excited about getting to sleep in my room, but she was also proud of herself. She got to experience the thrill of working hard at something and then seeing all the hard work pay off. I was proud of her too, even if it meant Mac was sent to the couch and I was sentenced to a night of getting kicked in the back. No matter the pain I had to endure during the night I was so happy for A2.

Maybe next year, if she is still struggling we can arrange a sleepover at her teacher's house.  That isn't unreasonable is it?




1 comment:

  1. L was/is very much the same way. Can't remember anything for anything, isn't really interested in learning (especially anything letter/word related), the works. School is a struggle for him, and he does not enjoy it. I would not wish this on anyone, parent or child, and it is particularly frustrating for two academic extreme over-achiever parents. I don't really have any advice, but keep working with her and supporting her and doing everything you are already doing. And hang in there; it's going to be tough for all of you. {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete