Saturday, March 2, 2013

100% Proud

Normally I am embarrassed by A1's bold attempts to correct the wrongs of the world, her fearless need to stand up for what she thinks is right, but last night I was so proud of her!
 
I took her on our one-on-one shopping trip just to run a few errands.  While we waited in line at Michael's a little red headed girl loudly demanded that her mom buy her some candy, as is common with most 7 year olds. The three adults in line behind us also noticed this child.  One of the women in the group said to her friends, "What else would you expect from a Ginger?" Then the rest of the group laughed.
 
I glanced down at A1 hoping she didn't hear these cruel remarks while I bit my tongue trying not to tell these women they were rude and should be ashamed of themselves.  I saw the fury of injustice streak across A1's face.  I had a small twinge in my stomach knowing A1 was not going to bite her tongue...

She turned to the ladies, "My mom says it isn't nice to call someone a Ginger.  You shouldn't make fun of someone for the way they look.  And I think she is pretty." A1 turned around.  The ladies looked a little embarrassed.  The cashier chuckled. 

My face was bright red but I was only 5% embarrassed, mostly because my 6 year old did the right thing while I stood and did nothing.  I was 100% proud of my little human right's activist!


No comments:

Post a Comment