Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Weighty Issues

The last two weeks have been rough on me emotionally, and no, it isn't because it is August...

I took A2 to the Dr for her cough. It was at that time her weight was officially pointed out to me.  I wasn't surprised to hear she was overweight. I can see her adorably chubby cheeks and round belly. I see her thick fingers. I know she is carrying more weight than the average 6 year old. I know it bothers her and she compares herself to other kids. I have heard her say she has the biggest belly in our family. I have heard other kids tell her she is fat. I know she is overweight. And yet, I still wasn't prepared for the numbers. The actual numbers that told me without a doubt my baby was struggling. 

The Dr told me not to worry about the numbers. We are doing what we should be doing. Seriously though, how can I not worry when I go home and discover her BMI is in the 99th percentile? I spent the evening with the best frienemy, the internet. I researched "weight loss," "kid's weight loss," "healthy kids," and "talking to kids about weight loss." Luckily, this research session left me feeling better about myself. I was already doing the things I needed to be doing for her; cut back on sweets, exercise, eat healthy foods, drink more water, and limit tv time. I was feeling good about my parenting. I was reminded that even though I hate it, policing the snacks for A2 was important and running with her was great.  I was doing what I should be doing. I was doing good.

Then yesterday my mom-confidence took another hit. A3 went in for her preschool physical. As we were leaving the nurse wanted to point out that her BMI was in the 91st percentile. I was in shock! Looking at A3, I couldn't find an ounce of fat to pinch on that kid. She is by far my tiniest. The nurse did say it was hard to see that A3 could be obese, but I needed to be aware of the numbers. WHAT!?!  She went on to tell me to limit her juice intake; I don't buy juice or koolaid. She wanted me to make sure A3 was active; how much more active could she be? 

I left feeling totally defeated. I was failing my girls. I am the one in charge of the food that comes in to the house. I am the one who prepares all the food. I am the one who caused 2 out of 3 of my kids to be obese. I was really giving myself an emotional beating. It was all too hard for me to understand. I dumped all this on a friend who wisely reminded me of all the positive things I have changed this summer; running with A2, sugar free cereal breakfasts, veggie tray snacks, and giant water jugs. Then I started thinking about all the things we have always done; dance parties, A Team yoga, and cooking healthy food. I felt better, but still felt guilty for ruining my daughters' lives. 

Then a friend posted a Buzzfeed weight loss video to Facebook. Basically what I took from the video is that in order to lose weight you need to exercise and eat right. (I knew all that.) Also, that the BMI might not be a true representation of obesity. According to this video, the BMI was created by someone who didn't even have a medical background. This got me questioning the BMI results for A3. Maybe I am not such a bad mom after all. Perhaps it is just a bad scale.  I guess, until there is a better scale, I will keep doing what I am doing; loving the girls, exercising with them, and feeding them healthy food.

BTW if this is obese, I want to be obese! 
 

2 comments:

  1. I could give a full lecture on BMI, what it's good for and what it is terrible for. It is good for assessing a population AS A WHOLE! If you add up the heights and weights of a large sample size of people, then it is a good indicator of the relative health of those populations. It is HORRIBLE at assessing the heath of a single individual. For example, it also says that Luke is overweight. You've met my son. Recently. Tell me he's overweight! (Go on, I dare you. ;-) ) As you mentioned, A3 is small. Not only is BMI in general a bad way to assess anything for an individual person, it gets even worse at the extreme ends of the height spectrum. Also consider that it would label most weight lifters as at least overweight, if not obese. Weight does not take into account body composition. Someone well muscled will almost always "measure" as overweight or obese on the BMI scale. Is BMI something to look at? Sure. Is it the end all and be all of whether or not you are overweight? Nope. My pediatrician told me not to worry about the numbers, but to just *look* at my kid (or myself). Am I overweight? Yes, clearly, and I don't need a stupid chart to tell me that, just my eyes. Is my son? Nope, and I don't need a stupid chart to tell me that, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've seen Caroline, right? Don't worry until you have to. And that's not anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete