Friday, September 18, 2015

Next Big Challenge

Now that I have added middle school librarian to my job title, which I am not complaining about because it is every book nerd's dream to spend time in a library and get paid!, I have given myself a new challenge. I plan on reading every book nominated for the 2016 Rebecca Caudill Award by the end of February.

This by far is my favorite challenge I have ever issued myself.  What in the world could be better than curling up and spending quiet evenings with award worthy books? I can't think of anything better, Brach's Malted Eggs- the original recipe comes close. 

There are 20 books on the list. The interest levels range from 4th-8th grade, while the reading levels range from 3rd to 8th grade. This shouldn't be too hard.  I have already finished one of the books and I am starting the second tonight.



See You at Harry's was the first book of my challenge. I started this book while waiting for A1 at piano lessons. I read the entire time she was inside. I was hooked. I rushed home, got the other girls ready for bed, and put them to bed early, so I could continue to get lost in Fern's life. I read the entire 310 pages in about 4, slightly interrupted, hours. It was such an emotionally gut wrenching book I didn't want to put it down, because I knew I would need closure. Honestly, I am surprised I wasn't dehydrated the next day! I started choking back tears, and eventually losing, about a third of the way through and didn't stop until well after I went to bed. It was especially tough being the mother of a 3 year old! 

There are so many neat touches in this book.  
  1. The characters are all named after other well known favorite book characters. 
  2. There are lists in this book.  I love lists! 
  3. The first line, "The very best day of my life, I threw up four times and had a fever of 103 degrees." caused my sarcastic heart to flutter.  
  4. Knowles writes about fantastic friendships and complicated family relationships.
  5. It felt so real.

I am not sure, if I could recommend this to 5th graders though. There are some pretty heavy things dealt with and I know I wouldn't want A1 reading it right now. She would be needing to talk about this book every day/night for years. BUT I would recommend it to anyone 7th grade and up, especially all the parents out there, so many things to think about after page 310! 

*** Good news I just checked, this book is a 7th-8th grade interest level. I don't have to worry about the judgement of those who nominated this book! yet.

If you want to join me on this challenge, click on 2016 Rebecca Caudill Award book nominations to find the list. I hope some of you will read these books, because I LOVE talking about books!

*** More good news, Barnes and Noble has the fist 176 pages as a free sample! Go start it NOW!

2 comments:

  1. I love this challenge! I hope you post the reviews to all the books, so I can buy good ones for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best to not let you down! I am almost finished with book #2...

      Delete