Friday, September 25, 2015

Reading Challenge Book 2

81BkR7yeQgL.jpg (1500×2297)

Last night I finished the 2nd book in my challenge, Counting By 7s. I am still not really sure how I feel about this book. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Perhaps I jumped into it too soon after I finished See You at Harry's. I think I was still suffering from book hangover.  

I really had trouble getting into this one. I didn't feel a strong connection with Willow. I wasn't really even sure if I liked her, but I knew I didn't hate her. I think this might have been the goal of the author since Willow is such a strange and socially awkward little creature, she didn't want the readers to make a strong bond with her. But I am not sure if that is smart. And I think this author is smart because eventually I did start to take interest in her. After I got past page 95, I even started to care about her.   

In some ways I could relate to her. She always feels like an outsider. She even says, "I don't like to exclude people. (I am the one always being excluded, so I know how that feels.)" I often feel that way. I always go out of my way to make sure I am not leaving anyone out and feel bad when situations come up when someone has to be left out, but on the flip side I am always being excluded. Friends get together for dinner, I don't get the call. Friends get their kids together for play dates, I don't get the call. Friends gossip over lengthy text messages, I don't get the text. Friends plan matching outfits, I don't get the plans. (ok, that one was made up, but you get the idea... I honestly don't think me being excluded is malicious or intentional, it is just something that happens. A lot. Maybe there is something about me that needs fixed? That is for another blog...) But, in a lot of ways I had trouble relating to Willow. She super smart, like Mensa smart. She uses big words that I had to look up. She is obsessed with medical things and even enjoys diagnosing people with their ailments for fun. Not my idea of fun.

The transformation Willow takes on is extraordinary, and for that, it is worth reading. I am torn about the recommended ages for this book. The interest level is 6-9 and the reading level is 5.6, so it would be in libraries for 4th-9th grade students. I don't know that all kids at that age could handle some of the stuff in this book. The thought of losing both parents in a freak car accident and then not having anyone to live with would cause a lot of anxiety for kids not mature enough to handle this emotion. I know I won't be letting A1 reading it anytime soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment