Sunday, May 22, 2016

Art Fair

The A Team took on the Springfield Old Capitol Art Fair. We do this every year, as long as the weather is nice. Every year we pack up the stroller, sunblock, hats, sunglasses, and grumpy kids to take in a little culture. Every year we have temper tantrums. Every year we end up sunburned. Every year walk aimlessly from booth to booth not really making any purchases, other than a really cool wood carved clock a few years ago.

The girls are the only ones to buy anything, besides the clock. We always let them get something from the kids tent as we are leaving. I made the decision 8 years ago to wait until we were leaving because I didn't want to be left carrying whatever mystery purchases the girls victoriously emerge with. This year we wanted  it to be different, perhaps I was inspired by no stroller for the first time. We decided to let them shop first. I hoped it would make them a little more interested in the fair. They could get involved early on. They would be art owners. We would know what type of art they each like and we could search for the artists that created the works they selected.

I felt like a genius! The girls were excited to hunt for the artists. Well, A3 wasn't excited, but to be fair she really didn't understand what we were doing. A1 was the first to find one of her artist, Charlotte Fung Miller.
 
Charlotte was the sweetest lady ever. She actually seemed thrilled to meet A1. She hugged her and was almost jumping up and down. She was absolutely awesome! She went into detail about her painting, which is an original and not a print, telling A1 about the process. Charlotte also told A1 the meaning of the painting, Strength. A1 was proud of her purchase and couldn't wait to hang it up, especially now that it was going to give her strength when she looked at it.

Next we found the painter of A2's art work, Sean Miller. While we waited to talk to him, A1 looked around at the paintings he had on display and realized he was the painter of her second painting. She was proud of herself for recognizing the birds. Honestly, I was impressed that she picked up on the details and the similarities. She is a smartie for sure! 

A2 got a little starstruck when Sean Miller was finished with his customer and she wasn't able to talk to him. Luckily, A1 was there standing with her being equally starstruck... NEITHER OF THEM COULD TALK. HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN!?! The two girls who never stop talking wouldn't talk. They left me standing there needing to do the talking. I haven't had to talk for them since 2008. I almost forgot how to start a conversation with a stranger, it was been so long! Thankfully I have had many years of practice, pre-A Team and it all came back to me. After we left his booth, I couldn't help but think that it is really interesting that A1 and A2, who seem so different, would pick art from the same artist. Maybe they do have something in common after all...

A3 was getting a little mad at this point. We hadn't been able to locate the artists of her two paintings. She was in pre-tantrum mode. I promised her we were looking for her artists next. She reluctantly agreed to continue on our adventure. She may have agreed, but she wasn't going to do it without delivering a message to all of us.  With every step she took, we heard, "Boring, boring, boring, boring." Her not so silent protest made several others giggle as they walked by us. I am glad she brought joy to others...

A3's painting by Felicia Olin, was my favorite. Please don't tell the other two. It seems like something they would fight and argue about! There was something about this painting that really spoke to me. I was excited to find the artist because I wanted to see the rest of her paintings. We finally found her booth and I instantly fell in love with several pieces of her work. This was the first time I saw art and felt like I needed to have it. There was something about the girls in the paintings that touched me deeply. I wanted to adopt them and take them home with me. I am starting a Felicia Olin fund. I will have one (or five) of her paintings.

A3 wasn't super cooperative by the time we found Felicia Olin. A3 had already taken her anti-cooperation stance and was going to do the opposite of anything I asked or wanted. We finally got a picture. A3 insisted on holding both of her paintings in the picture. We went with it. She smiled.

As we were leaving, A2 found the artist of her second piece of artwork. She was excited to meet Cheryl Dorris, because one of her favorite people is named Cheryl. Meeting this Cheryl was great. She talked to A2 about the picture she bought and showed her the others she took of the same flower, or of the flowers of the same plant... A3 was starting to voice her opinion so I was a little distracted... A2 was proud she selected the picture because Cheryl made her feel important. 


Letting the girls get their artwork early was a genius move. The girls had a great day. They felt empowered. All three of them made their own choices on what art to buy. The girls were excited to show off what they bought to everyone we ran into. The immensely talented artists took the time to talk to the girls and made them feel important and smart. I am a genius. Or I am just lucky that it turned out so well. :) 


2 comments:

  1. What a fun day!! I LOVE your idea and think it is a great idea! I really need to take my two next year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day!! I LOVE your idea and think it is a great idea! I really need to take my two next year!!

    ReplyDelete