Saturday, February 1, 2020

Best Ballet Ever

I know tons of dance moms think that their child's ballet is the best ever, but I promise you Winnie the Pooh IS in fact the best ballet ever. There are so many reasons this show is magical. The costumes are phenomenal. Each character is perfection. The set pieces are breathtaking. They make you feel like you are stepping into a story book.

Those are reasons this show is great but it isn't why it is the best.

A3 has always been a hard no when it comes to performing on stage. She wanted nothing to do with musicals unlike her sisters. She doesn't like being the center of attention. Even as a toddler, she hated people singing Happy Birthday to her. She is my shy backstager, or so I thought.

After hearing A1 nonstop talk about auditioning for Pooh, A3 thought maybe she would like to too. We talked about what it would mean to audition. We talked about the rehearsal process. We talked about all the new kids she would meet. We talked about late night (8:00 is late when you are a 7 year old who needs to sleep!) We talked about performing on the stage with people watching. She was firm on her decision. She wanted her first show to be A1's last show. She said she didn't want to miss a chance to dance with A1. (Be still my heart.)

Audition day was met with so much nervous anxiety. A3 worried about everything; her hair, her tights, her leotard, her shoes. I almost had to carry her in the studio because she was ready to back out. I stayed with her until the kids had to gather for a meeting before auditions. She latched on to my arm and I didn't think she was going to go in until a sweet older girl took her hand and pulled her into the room. She looked back and gave me a teary smile. I tried my best to hide my teary smile.

After auditions she was all smiles. She felt good about herself. She pushed herself to do something she didn't think she would be able to do and her confidence grew a little.

Then we had camp rehearsals. Drop off was again rough. She didn't know any of the girls in her group. She was worried and anxious. She was not going to let go of my arm. Thankfully, Miss Rhonda came around the corner and grabbed her hand. She told A3 it was time to go with her. A3 went without much hesitation. No one says "no" to Miss Rhonda. (Well, there was this one kid... but I don't think she counts because that kid lives with Miss Rhonda and calls her mom.) Miss Ronda gave me a shared mom to mom look. She had A3 and was going to take care of her.

After the first rehearsal, A3 was pumped for the show. She had 2 new best friends. 2 new best friends without names. She talked nonstop about the day. She was so proud of herself for going and her confidence grew a little.

Tech week came. This was a whole new experience for an order loving 7 year old. She was not prepared for the controlled chaos that tech week brings. There are a lot of new things happening all at once. She did not want to let go of my arm. Then one of her new best friends, who now has a name, showed up and they nervously walked backstage together.

After that first day of tech, Amelya came home excited to go back. She loved dancing on the stage. She couldn't wait for all the people to come and watch her and her new friends. She didn't show any signs of stage freight and her confidence grew.

Last night while I was waiting for the rehearsal start I caught a glimpse of A3 in action. She was chatting with people she didn't know. She was visibly excited. She was bubbly and carefree. Someone who didn't know her asked if she was my outgoing child. Another mom who knows all the girls laughed. She couldn't believe it when I told her A3 was my shy one. She has changed so much since December.

This show is the best show because it changed my shy nervous rule following A3 into a more  confident rule following A3. She has had so many chances to shine and try new things. She had to face her fears and proved to herself that she can do it.


She is a brave butterfly who really came out of her cocoon. (See what I did there??)

Also there is an amazing older dancer in the show who has some pretty fierce fouettes.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment