Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Scary and Uncertain Times

This morning I cried on the way to work.

I made the mistake of checking the news while I waited in line for my daily morning indulgence at the golden arches. I read 18 teachers from A1 and A2's school were cut. 17 first year teachers and 1 second year teacher would not be employed at their district for the next year. That is huge.  A1's current teacher is one of them.  That is hard.

In the beginning the tears flowed for the teachers themselves. This is such a horrible, scary, and uncertain time to be a teacher. Jobs are few and far between. Teachers are doing more for less. This is not a payment debate; anyone with any sense knows better to tell me teachers shouldn't be paid more. I am just meaning class sizes are increasing, duties are increasing, but payment is not. These 18 teachers know it will be hard and darn near impossible to find another job in the area. Heck, I know of a couple exceptional teacher-to-be's that can't find jobs, because of someone's unjustified slanderous bias. 18 teachers have just had their worlds rocked. 18 teachers have to go to school everyday until the end of the year and put on a happy face for their students, even though they are quietly going through those steps of grief when they are alone. 18 teachers are crying when none of the little eyes are watching.

Then I cried for my girls. How sad they have to grow up in a state that really doesn't value them and their education. Funding has been cut, expenses have increased. The people in charge can't see past the $. Class sizes will increase; learning will decrease. Work loads will increase; student performance will decrease. Individuals will get lost. Students like A2 will probably fall through the cracks; we, the parents, will pick up the pieces. Thank goodness, one of her parents has an education degree and kind of knows what to do, but what about the parents who can't pick up the pieces? My girls have to be educated in a system that is broken, this breaks my heart.

Finally, I cried for me.  I am a part of this broken system. I could be one of those 18 teachers. I can relate to the uncertainty. Not knowing what the next year would have in store. Luckily in my situations I have always had jobs, but just never sure of my location.

I arrived at school feeling hopeless.  How do we fix this mess? What can we do to make it better? Can it be made better or should we abandon ship? Should we move to a state that actually values education? Should we pull our kids out of school and home school them?  What are the right answers?

Who do we blame for this mess? This isn't a new problem for us. When did things start to go down hill? Do we blame presidents? Do we blame governors? Do we blame school boards, superintendents, principals, and/or teachers? Do we blame each other, you, or me? Common core, PARCC, Pearson? Who is at fault for this problem?

I guess it doesn't really matter who we blame. The only ones truly being punished are our children.

Pray and pray hard.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I can so so relate to this :( It is all so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. My days are spent advocating on behalf of teachers and students - policy, funding, etc. My best advice is to reach out to your state representative or senator and let them know how their actions are impacting you and your kids and your kids teachers/schools. And most importantly, thank you for writing down what many of us parents are thinking. I always appreciate your perspective.

    ReplyDelete