Thursday, September 5, 2013

Gen H Problems

With childhood obesity becoming an epidemic schools have been forced to educate students on healthy eating choices. While I think this is good, I am a little concerned about the message it is sending.  A1, who has a tendency to become obsessed over what should be simple and meaningless things, has really taken to reading nutrition labels. Anytime she sees food with a label on it she will read the number of calories and then the number of sugars.  After she will ask how long she will need to exercise to get rid of the calories.  Sometimes she will ask for an alternative if she feels like the snack has too many calories.  At first this may seem like a great problem but I am really concerned that she is trying to eliminate all calories and sugars.  I told her that her body needs a certain number of calories to live and she told me she knew that but she didn't want to get fat.  She said that would be the worst thing that could happen to her.  When she saw my disapproving single raised eyebrow she reconsidered her previous comment and said she just didn't want people to look at her like she was an idiot for getting fat.
I took a deep breath and before I could say anything A2 piped in with, "A1, some people are just fat.  That is how God made them.  God doesn't think they are idiots.  Look at me I am chubby.  I have chubby cheeks, chubby fingers, chubby hair, and a chubby tummy but I am not an idiot." This made the water works flow and they continued as A1 said, "Well you are chubby but you are cute. When you are little it is ok to be chubby."
URGH!  I have worked so hard to present positive body image messages for the girls.  We talk about making healthy choices for healthy hearts not so we won't be fat.  We exercise so we feel good not because we don't like ourselves.  I am conscientious not to focus on reading labels in front of the girls.  Honestly, they are kids and they don't need to worry about what a label says.  That is my job! I don't regularly buy junk to feed the girls.  I make sure they get fruit and vegetables with every meal.  I make sure they have decent portion size. It is MY job to worry about calories and sugars.
Why do second grade students, who don't have the means to drive to the store and purchase food, need to even be concerned about reading nutrition labels?  It makes me sick that A1 is requesting water at milk break because the calories are kind of high on the side of the milk carton.  I know that it is important to start early teaching healthy behaviors but I am not feeling this one! I think this is sending the wrong message to kids, especially girls.  I feel like I have to work extra hard to unteach these Gen H lessons.  I feel like I have to work extra hard to be allowed to be the parent and make the responsible choices for my daughters.
I am worried that this is just a bad beginning...

No comments:

Post a Comment