Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Lesson Learned

I have felt particularly feisty this week.  I have found myself in strange situations where I have had to deal with confrontations head on and be extra firm with my beliefs.  These feelings took over my better judgement while in line at Walmart. 
Typically when I am shopping I am able to put my blinders on and I completely ignore anything and everything that is going on around me.  It is safer that way.  This week I wasn't able to stay in the zone.  I let the judgmental condescending woman in line in front of me irritate the snot out of me.  I was doing ok until she starting to loudly talk down about the woman in front of us.  Crabby lady made a comment about how all 5 of her children had to have different dads and it wasn't right for us to be paying for her children's food.  I know the mother heard her and I was embarrassed that she was talking to me.  Then the cashier had to call for help reloading her receipt tape to which Crabby lady told the cashier that it was ridiculous that she had to ask for help.
When I wasn't biting on any of her conversation starters she decided to try to talk to me about my children.  She asked me if A2 and our neighbor girl, who was lucky enough to join our adventure, were twins.  I just smiled and said, "No, they are 10 months apart." The woman just raised her eyebrows and disapprovingly said, "Oh." I was pleased that this judgmental crabby lady incorrectly thought that I popped out 2 kids within 10 months of each other.  She then smiled at the girls and asked where they got their pretty curls. Beautiful she so just walked into this...
I smiled and pointed at A2 and said, "My husband," I pointed at our little friend and said, "my neighbor." I was starting to giggle to myself as the woman's jaw dropped as she assumed the worst from me.  A2 helped my story by innocently adding, "Yea, we got them from our dads." Thanks A2 for always having to explain where you got those gorgeous blonde curls.  Crabby lady didn't even respond to A2, she just turned around and was absolutely quiet the rest of our time together. 
I am not sure if she really learned a lesson or if she just thought I was beneath her and couldn't talk to me any more but the teacher in me would like to think she learned a little something from the A Team that day. ;)

1 comment: