Saturday, October 17, 2015

Reading Challenge Book 4


I have always been a fan of historical fiction books. It probably goes back to my mom and me spending hours reading Little House on the Prairie books together. I was really excited when I read the reviews for May B and saw that it was compared to Little House on the Prairie over and over again.

At first I was, honeslty, a little disappointed with the Little House comparison. Other than setting, there wasn't much else the same. However; the book is fantastic even without the Little House-ness. I really connected with May B. I totally and completely hurt for her with every turn of the page. When she was lonely, I was lonely. When she was cold, I shivered. When she was hungry, my stomach growled. When she was anxious, I was biting my nails with every word I read. When she was discouraged, I was crying. I felt every emotion May B felt. (Way to go Caroline Starr Rose!)

As with all the Rebecca Caudill Award nominations, I found myself having a major case of the eyeball sweats.  May B has a reading disability, probably dyslexia, but is so determined to learned to read. She works hard even when others discourage her from trying.  During her time away from home she has a lot of time for self reflection. At one point, while she is discouraged by her situation, she also becomes discouraged by her ability to read.  Page 80 hit me hard:


"I must be stupid." Those four words sunk me. I thought about all the students I have had who struggle with reading. I thought of bubbly A2 and her reading struggles. Would she eventually get to the point where this is how she felt about herself. Does she already feel this way about herself? What can I do as a teacher, as a mom, to prevent my young readers from this self-destructive mentality? 

For me this book wasn't life changing, but it was "life improving." I will try to be less frustrated as I listen to A2 slowly struggle through her reading assignments. I will do my best to hide my concern.  I will take my role as a supportive, encouraging mom to a whole new level. 

I will be reading this book with my class this year. I am certain many of my students will relate to May B, just like I did. 



No comments:

Post a Comment