Thursday, October 29, 2015

Reading Challenge Book 5


I really wanted to like A Monster Calls, but, well, I just didn't. I feel bad admitting that, especially since one of my favorite book reading mom friends loved it.  I really wanted to open this book and not want to put it down. Sadly that just didn't happen.

This is the first Caudill nominee that didn't make me cry. I was starting to think that one of the nomination requirements was turning on the water works. The premise of the book is sad. There were a lot of events in the book that were sad, but I just wasn't that invested in the book to even feel that pre-cry pain in my throat.
I felt like the entire book was a riddle; a riddle I just didn't get. I love the challenge of figuring out riddles, discovering the plays on words. I am usually a great riddle solver. This book was like a riddle without an answer.  Perhaps I was just too distracted by real life to get the riddle, but that is another problem with me not being invested in this book. I was distracted by everything while I read it. Typically, I am that reader who would miss a dinosaur attack in the living room if I was into a good book.

The book wasn't terrible. In fact there were some good things in the book. There were great moments. I had some feelings. The illustrations were super dark and amazing.

I would recommend reading this book if your cable is out, all of the laundry is done and put away, and you have a few hours to kill.

No comments:

Post a Comment