Saturday, May 10, 2014

Family Potluck Hierarchy

You can tell a lot about the way a family thinks about one of it's own members by what food he/she is assigned to bring to potluck meals. 

The supplier of the main course is the most highly regarded member of the family. He or she is seen as the planner with superior organizing skills. This person is also an excellent cook. On occasion, this person only supplies the main course because they are providing the location of the get together. 

The next most coveted position in the potluck food hierarchy is the family member who delivers the dessert. This person is important since dessert is the last part of the meal to be consumed.  The dessert preparer is seen as being the most excellent baker. Often the dessert supplier is the creative member of the family. Also, he or she is generally a sweet and kind person.  Who would want dessert from someone with a sour personality?

The side dish provider is the middle child of potluck foods. He or she is seen as someone who is the peace maker.  Someone who can get along with anyone. The side dish provider doesn't have to be  good cook, be creative, or fancy.  They are just expected to show up and compliment the main course. 

There are two subcategories of side dishes; veggie tray and chips and dip. These are given to the lowest members of the family.  They are given to the people who can't cook, can't remember, and can't function. The most unreliable members of the family are given one of these sub par foods just in case he or she doesn't follow through and actually bring the assigned items.

The only potluck assignment more lowly than veggie tray or chips and dip is the ice bringer.   This person is the last one thought of when planning a meal.  It is more of an "oops, we forgot to assign something to so and so, how about we make her ice girl." This "food" appointment is given to someone who has NO business in the kitchen. This person has very little creativity and no value in family meal planning.  Basically this is the loser of the family.

In the beginning of my adult potluck food prep, I was a dessert. I was asked to bring something to end the meal.  Most of the time I was asked to bring cookies, if you ask me, I am a pretty darn good baker... From time to time I would try a new recipe for a different cake or fancy brownie.  My family seemed to enjoy my desserts.  One meal someone else in the family also brought a dessert. She received many praises for her cupcakes. I am not going to mention who the dessert stealer is but...

After that meal, I was asked to bring a salad or something.  I was knocked down to a side dish.  I decided I would make the best of it.  I turned to my friends Rachel Ray and Paula Dean. They helped me find awesome side dishes to bring. 

This lasted for several potluck meals. Then one Christmas I was asked to bring the veggie tray.  It stung to be knocked down that low, but I went along with the plan, as a good little side dish provider would.  It really was easiest bringing the veggie tray. 

I was getting comfortable with my standing as veggie tray bringer, when I called to find out what I should bring to the upcoming party. It is never a good sign when you have to call to find out what you need to bring. The voice on the other end of the phone asked me to pick up chips and dip, maybe. I decided to call on the day of the event to find out what kind they had in mind.  I was told not to worry about is because the chips had already been purchased. There was a little kick to the gut. The demotion was finalized as I was asked to pick up ice.  I was "Ice Girl." Of course I agreed to pick up the ice. I wasn't going to show up at a family meal empty handed.

The only thing more insulting than my demotion was showing at the party with my bags of ice and being told that they really didn't need my ice since someone else was bringing it. I was worse than "Ice Girl." I was "Rejected Ice Girl." I have fallen from grace. I am the lowest of the low.  Until I am able to rise again I will continue to bring the solid H2O.

No comments:

Post a Comment