Friday, May 23, 2014

Sweet A2



A2 is often the source of my frustration, my biggest challenge, my free spirit.  She is also my entertainer.  She knows how to make me laugh.  She is a peace keeper, unless you are A1, then she is a button pusher. She is also kind hearted and giving.

Last night the girls had their dance recital.  I volunteered to corral the eight 4-5 year olds from A2's class.   The hour I spent in a loud echo chamber with 100's not really that many girls was enough to send my anxiety through the roof leaving me reaching for a bag of malted eggs, yes I still have a bag.

The tiny dancers I was in charge of were actually pretty good.  Honestly, they were better than pretty good.  I may even go as far as saying we had the best group in the room.  The girls all sat in the small area we told them to sit in and they colored almost the entire time. 

Even with how good they were, the girls did have a few moments of being typical 4/5 year olds. I saw one girl commander a box of crayons and hide it from the rest of the group.  I saw another girl nudge a classmate in the face with her shoulder when they lined up.  I also witnessed a girl have a complete meltdown and temper tantrum when a younger student from another class innocently snatched a sucker from her bag.

I was about to lose my cool when I observed A2 do something that totally melted my icy heart. The same blonde sucker stealer approached our group searching for more candy.  The ballerinas banded together and refused to give the girl a tootsie roll.  They were clearly punishing her for her prior transgressions.  The 3 year old didn't understand what was going on, so she started to cry.  Her eyes filled with tears and her lip pouted. A2 saw this as she unwrapped her tootsie roll, the one candy I said she could have since we weren't really supposed to have any candy in the first place. Before A2 could pop the candy in her mouth she came over to me and asked, "Do you think I should give her this candy? I mean I have a huge bag and I really don't need all of it for me." I tried to remain cool, even though I was jumping for joy in my head, as I told her it was up to her because it was her candy. A2 looked from her candy to the little girl then back to the candy.  She handed her candy to the little girl. The girl was so happy. She thanked A2 and then skipped off to her mom who freaked out because she didn't know the kid who gave her the candy. 

A2 was very brave and went up to the mom and told her she was the one who gave her the candy. She also told her it was safe candy because her teacher gave it to all the girls in her class. The mom looked down at A2 and said, "Oh ok. Well, whatever then." I am seriously hoping she was just in shock that my little 5 year old was so kind and mature.

I have been bragging about my A2 all day.  I just can't get over how sweet and caring she can be. I will try to keep this in mind the next time she refuses to eat dinner, or put on the clothes I want her to wear. She really is a kind hearted and wonderful person!

No comments:

Post a Comment