Monday, August 5, 2013

A Warning to All SLPs

This is a warning to all the Speech and Language Therapists who may encounter my children in the future.  As an undergrad at EIU, I was required to take a Language Development class for my Special Education degree and therefore I am a self proclaimed semi-expert.   I also have the internet as a backup in case I need further assitance.  ;)

I have been searching for a diagnosis for A2.  I am sure all of her oddities stem from some type of a language disorder.  I just can't decide which one at this point. 

To start with she has articulation problems.  She has the typical /f/ for /th/ like fings instead of things and /v/ for /b/ like Rovvie instead of Robbie.  She also has a few STRANGE errors.  She will add an extra /l/ blend in words like blanana and plaino for banana and piano.  The weirdest is the additional /r/ sound in coppering instead of copying.  We have tried correcting her but she refuses to change the way she says them.

Her main language problem currently is incorrect/bizarre word substitutions.  The first time I noticed this was when she told me my car smelled guilty.  I laughed it off as A2 just being silly.  A few weeks ago she complained that the toy room was guilty and she didn't want to clean it up alone.  I asked her what it "guilty" meant and she told me dirty.  She was meaning "filthy." I corrected her but she continued to call messy things "guilty."

On Saturday she asked me why people "glittered." At first I was thrown off by this.  I caught A1's eye in the review mirror.  She was equally confused. Then I remember there was a time last winter when she asked me why there was so much glitter on the ground... DUH litter! A1 had a good laugh when we cracked this one.  She was imagining people running around sprinkling glitter everywhere.  I corrected A2 but she continues to call it glittering.

I am sure A2 has some type of Speech/Language Disorder.  Stubborn Goofball is a language problem right?   

No comments:

Post a Comment