Sunday, August 11, 2013

Workout Partners Not Working Out

I am sure I will learn many lessons as I make this life change into being a healthier person.  The first lesson is to be wise on selecting workout partners.  In the last 2 weeks I have had 2 distinctly differently partners and I must say I prefer to workout alone.

My first workout partner, I will call her A1, is very upbeat.  I mean VERY upbeat.  She was like a demonic cheerleader with infinite amounts of energy and pep.  She was able to keep up with the people on the video while critiquing my inability to keep up, all with a smile.  After the workout was over and I was a ball of sweaty mess on the floor, she suggested we get on the treadmill for a quick jog.  WHAT!?! 

My second workout partner, A2 for short, had more of a cynical attitude and, while it matches mine, it is not conducive to staying motivated while working out. She lasted only 1 minute before she started rolling on the ground coming dangerously close to my flailing legs and feet.  I suggested she do what they were doing on the tv or go into a different room.  She insisted that she should be able to do whatever she wanted and not have to follow the man on tv.  She then proceeded to to random air punches flexing her muscles.  I told her she would have to follow them or get out of the way.  She questioned me again, "Why do I have to do what they do? What can they do if I don't follow them.  They are on the tv and they aren't here." Bad partner.  For a split second I started to agree with her and thought about stopping.  What would Shawn T do about it? Nothing.  He is on the TV.
I didn't stop.  I finished that workout with A2 playing with the Ipad on the couch.  When I was done she said, "Good job.  I don't want to hurt your feelings but I don't think you have had enough working out.  I still see your kinda fat tummy. But you are pretty." HUMPH! I wanted to stick my tongue out at her but that would have taken energy I just didn't have at the moment.

A1 and A2 might not be very good workout partners for me but they each tried.  They have their own unique way of getting things done.  Whether it was with super pep or skepticism, I know the actions of my girls were motivated by love.  My girls love me and I love them, however I won't be asking them to workout with me anytime soon.  

No comments:

Post a Comment