Sunday, August 25, 2013

Things that Go Bump in the Night

I am currently at a loss with A2.  I have a strange feeling that I will be uttering those words many times over the next 15+ years!  Tonight she has really boggled my mind.  All summer we have been battling strange bedtime fears.  It started with the typical monsters in the closet but because she is my realistic cynical child, her fear has expanded to real burglars and kidnappers.  
It is impossible to rationalize with her.  She has been told by an older neighbor kid that one day someone will break in and kill her.  She told him that no one would break in to our house since we have an alarm.  He told her that the alarm wouldn't stop someone who really wanted to kill her.  Great.  Thanks kid!
Our bedtime routine now involves A2 walking around with me checking all the doors to make sure they are locked.  Then we move onto the alarm, which I have to lift her up to turn on.  After the house is secure we go up to her room where she starts sobbing and convulsing.  She is truly terrified that someone is going to break in.   Some nights A1 will give in and let A2 sleep in her bed but on nights when A1 doesn't want to share her bed there are protests to the point of A2 throwing up.  It is so sad to hear her beg not to go to bed. 
Tonight I thought we had had a breakthrough.  Nana talked to her before bed telling her she was safe.  A2 didn't seem to upset about going to bed after our nightly security check.  We told a few bedtime stories and then I returned to the laundry.  I finished folding a load and I sat down to eat the snack that smiles back when I heard a loud crash followed by fast feet.  I got to the girls' bedroom to find A2 climbing into A1's bed carrying a broom... As soon as she saw me she started crying she knew she was busted.  She blurted out that the broom was for safety.  She planned on using it to beat an intruder.  Wonderful, now she is bringing weapons to bed. 
I took the broom from her and got her back into her bed with her dream light.  I sat with her for a few minutes until she calmed down.  She is asleep now but I know she will be up at 1AM crying because she has had a nightmare.  Usually it is fun and entertaining raising children with such vivid imaginations but right now, at this moment, it is EXHAUSTING!

****I am currently taking advice and suggestions to help us get over this little bump.****

5 comments:

  1. I watched a show one time where they put a bit of lavender in water, and put it in a squirt bottle, and told the kids it was protective something or other. The smell made it seem more than water, and lavender has a natural soothing effect, helping them get to sleep faster and keeps nightmares away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will have to try that. We did something like that when A1 was afraid of monsters. Monster spray may have to make a come back at our house but in the Human Monster Spray version.

      Delete
  2. Is she afraid the intruder will come in through the window? Put a dresser with mirror against the window.

    Consult the parent of the neighbor child. That child needs to admit that what he/she said was a lie in front of your child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it has occurred to her that an intruder could come through the window. She is just thinking the downstairs front door.

      Delete
  3. Get her a dog to sleep with her in her room for security.

    ReplyDelete