Friday, August 16, 2013

What's in a Name?

It is a well known fact that teachers have a difficult time choosing names for their own children.  Every name is associated with some student, good or bad.  In the last few years I have added several names to my list of "Never Name My Baby Names."  These, however; are not the names of former students but the names of huge annoyances in my class. 
The first two names showed up on the list while I was in college, Madelin and Hunter.  No matter how you spell those two names, hearing them makes my stress and anxiety level sky rocket!  In the last five years my list grew with the addition of Gretchen, Courtney, Charlotte, and Daniel.  These names cloud my mind and make me want to eat chocolate and sneak trips to McDonald's.  I am sure as I continue to teach there were be plenty of other names I will want to add to the list. 

Please note: I have met plenty of perfectly pleasant adults and children with these names.  If one of these "No Names" is your name be proud that you share your name with some very influential people in the world of education, however for personal reasons I wouldn't choose to use them. Plus none of them start with an A.  Plus, Plus three girls are plenty for us, so I won't need to be naming anyone else. 

Also Please Note: None of these educational trends is necessarily bad they just caused stress for me because it was change. 

One final, Please Note: Just for the record, when I was pregnant with A3 I did have names on the list of former AND  current students. So maybe my well known fact is a stretch... maybe.

3 comments:

  1. This made me giggle so much! And I totally know what you mean with those 4 names and couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing you didn't have to do Madeline Hunter lesson plan's in college... Otherwise all 6 names would strike a chord. (music pun intended!)

      Delete
  2. I really wanted to use Daniel, but husband had HUGE issues with someone named that growing up, so he flat out said no. I was so disappointed! There was only one name we could agree on, so that is now our son's name. Good thing we didn't have any other kids! LOL

    ReplyDelete