Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Life Changer

Last week I made a life altering decision and this week I am going for it...

A1 has always been bothered by the fact that we don't have a "team." We really aren't sports people.  I mean we enjoy watching sports occasionally but we would never base our daily schedule around watching a certain team play.  The only exception to this is when Indiana University is playing basketball and I actually remember to turn the channel. 

This has really bothered A1 ever since she started school and was introduced to spirit week.  The last three years they have had favorite team day.  Students are asked to wear jerseys or t-shirts with their team's logo on it.  Every year she fake cries about not having anything to wear and, unlike when I complain about not having anything to wear, she is telling the truth.  The pitiful tears turn into begging me to go to the store and "JUST BUY ANY TEAM." Out of principal (i.e. laziness) I tell her no.  I don't think it is necessary to go and spend $10+ on a shirt she will only wear one day.  I am just not going to do it.

I have had many friends offer to help educate her on the wonderful world of sports and help her pick a team, their team.  That just frustrates me.  If she really wants to learn about sports, I can teach her.  I was, after all, raised in a sports family.  I totally understand HOW to play the games.  I just can't make my body do it.  However, I know this girl and she isn't doing this because she is missing out on a chance to be a well rounded athlete.  She is just doing it for fashion.  Boo to that.  Besides that we live in a war zone between Cardinal fans and Cubs fans. I would hate for her to get caught in the cross hairs of that battle.  If she had to choose one team over the other I know she would feel guilty, worry, lose sleep, and then need therapy. NOT worth it. 

Last week while attending a family birthday party the Cardinal game came on.  Several members of the party became zombies sucked into the tv. As I sat in an annoying unsilent silence it dawned on me.  There has to be a team out there for us. I was going to figure out which team was our team.

My team searching criteria:
1. It has to be a faraway team.  I don't want to pay to go to watch "our team" play.
2. It needs to be a team that I don't ever hear anyone root for or against.
3. It has to be a team that I won't find shirts for at Walmart or Target because I don't want to hear, "Look mom, there is a shirt for "our team" we need to buy it.
4. It has to be a team that the girls will always remember the name.
5. It has to be a team that just makes sense for the A Team to love.

The answer should be obvious...

Our favorite team will be the Oakland A's! They are from Oakland, right? They are the perfect team. 
I haven't ever heard anything about them, good or bad.  They aren't in the play offs so no Cardinal fan will be mean about this decision.  I am almost positive that I will actually have to order a shirt online because I don't think I have ever seen an A's shirt in a store. Based on Mac's feelings on California I don't see us ever traveling to see one of their games.  They really are the perfect match for us.  Besides, wouldn't the A Team look adorable wearing A's shirts in our Christmas card!?! 

Go A's!

1 comment: