Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Late Night Stories

I was inspired by an article I read on FB tonight. Instead of getting angry with A2 after her 17th bad excuse for being awake at 9:00, I decided to cuddle with her and ask what was bothering her. 

Of course her discussion proved to be entertaining. "Well, you see, I'm mad and angry because A1won't let me sleep in her bed. I wanted to sleep in there because I heard a cricket. Last night, I had a dream about crockodiles. They kept trying to bite me. Now I'm afraid of crickets. They probably want to eat me face off." I tried to reason with her...

After 30 seconds of silence, she went on with her bizarre conversation. "There was a boy at school who smashed a caterpillar. Why would he do that!?! Another boy cried. He cried real tears. He wanted to touch the caterpillar and watch him bloom. Isn't that funny that he said bloomed? Caterpillars don't bloom, they get winged. Everybody knows that." 

At this point A2 was getting whiplash from my earthquake laughter. No sound, but lots of shaking. She had one more thing that was bothering her, "Mom there was a boy who had to go to the bathroom. He asked to go to the 'Men's Room.' I told him he isn't a man and he needs to go to the boys bathroom. Mom men aren't in kindergarten are they? He is a boy. I know he is!" 

I'm so glad I decided to listen instead of yell. I would have missed some of the best stories. I think that was the first time this week I laughed, a real, can't breath, laugh. It was refreshing. Plus, she fell asleep within 5 minutes of her final story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment