Sunday, September 7, 2014

Parenting Fail 5,168

In a not-so-rare moment of parenting frustration, I was weak in my parenting choices. Looking back I would have done things different for a number of reasons, the biggest being; I was once again out smarted by A1.

It was bed time a few nights ago and I, once again, tripped over the same exact American Girl Doll I had asked the girls to put away numerous times. To be fair to the girls, they probably didn't see the doll since she was buried under a mixed pile of clean and dirty clothes. And to further confuse the girls, the pile of clothes was camouflaged by a collection of books. THE ROOM WAS A MESS. 

I had had it with them. After I sort of regained composure and picked myself up of the floor, I said under my breathe, but still intentionally loud enough for the girls to hear, "Well, I hope we don't have a fire tonight. It will be hard to get you out of this place." 

Boom! That did I had the girls' attention now. A2 just stared at me. No comment. I made my point by lightly threatening suggesting my kids were going to burn in a fire for not cleaning their room. Nice. 

Oh well, I won. Tiny victory dance. Not so fast... Before I could leave the room, A1 had something to say. She say up in her bed and questioned me. "Are you saying we could die if there was a fire?" I became a little mousy, "Well... Kind of." She went deep in thought and came out with something truly frustrating. She used my past words against me. 

"Really Mom, that wouldn't be so bad. You said when we die we will get to see Jesus. We want to see Jesus. It isn't bad to die. You said."

Great. Thanks for listening to me. I bit my tongue before I told her that dying in a fire would be very painful before she got to see Jesus. I'm proud of myself for showing such restraint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment