Sunday, January 4, 2015

2015 Resolutions

A few years ago the girls and I started a tradition of making New Year's Resolutions together.  Generally they are lighthearted and reflect the girls' personalities; wear more dresses, dance more, eat more pie, (Ok, so that is mine every year...) and basically just be themselves more.  I always enjoy hearing what they have to say; hearing about the things that are most important to them right now.  

This year is different. Most of their resolutions were about ways of changing their physical appearance or changing their personalities. Ways to make them more whatever someone else has told them to be. I am totally bummed about this change from just last year. 

A1
Go to the beach and go deep sea diving.
No you don't.  I know you too well.  You would not do deep sea diving. There are real live creatures that live in that water. I can imagine the panicked screaming that would follow us saying, "Jump in." Ok... Just kidding! That would totally be me screaming! Go for it, just take your dad with you.

Get my teeth whitened. 
This was the knife in the heart. What 8 year old worries about having white teeth? I know a few kids told her her teeth were disgusting, because they were yellow. They also said they didn't want her to talk to them, because it made them gag.  Sorry A1, this is just your genetics, the way you were made. Plus, with your beautiful porcelain skin, your teeth will have trouble competing for the whitest thing on your face. 

Get mad less. 
While I secretly like this one, it still makes me ache because I know that she isn't happy with herself and the way she naturally reacts. Again, A1, blame genetics for this...

A2
Play with my American Girl more. 
Since you just got it for Christmas, I am positive you will play with it more in 2015 than you did in 2014. 

Grow my hair out and get my curls back.
Here she goes starting to twist that knife A1 stabbed in my heart. I miss her curls too, but I think her hair is adorable the way it is, especially when she lets me brush it. She is always complaining that she is the only one in her class with short hair and she wishes she didn't have "boy" hair. I am not sure where she got the idea that her hair is "boy" hair. It really isn't that short. 

Not be so fat. Get rid of my fat face, my fat belly, and my fat legs.
There it is; the death blow. She left me speechless. It kills me that at 5 she worries about being fat. I'm at a loss as to what to tell her or what to do for her. She compares herself to A1, who has a totally different body type. She doesn't understand. I don't understand how to make her understand.

A3
She didn't have any to add this year.  I am sure by this time next year, she will have a lot to tell us.  A1, A2, and I came up with a few for her.  I am sure she will be more than willing to work on all of these.

Share mommy. 
Screaming at people not to talk to or hug mommy is not cool, especially when you are at a visitation.

Get rid of your pacifier. 
This summer.

Clean up your potty mouth. 
Genetics?

Me
Be happy with me and show the girls that I am.

Teach the girls to love themselves the way they are, while working on healthy ways to improve things that could be better.

I want to do the best for the girls. I don't want them to hurt. I want to put them in a little bubble and protect them from everything negative. Now it seems I need to start protecting them from their own negative thoughts. Being a mom is tough. Being a mom to girls is really tough. Being a mom to the A Team is really tough but rewarding. 



No comments:

Post a Comment