Monday, January 5, 2015

Lessons Learned 1-5-15

From every experience we are taught lessons. This afternoon and tonight were no different. 



What I learned on January 5, 2015:

1. Humans don't make good piggy banks. 
To be honest, I already knew this, but it seems A3 needed to learn this one. 

2. Washing your hands while you are in the ER is a great idea. 
This isn't for hygiene. It is strictly for entertainment purposes. We were left in an ER room for about 5 hours while we waited for an OR to open up. At about the 3.5 hour mark our phones were dead and the only channel we got on the TV had the news. We were hurting for entertainment. A3 and I washed our hands five times. It was fun.  

3. When a doctor says something along the lines of "Don't worry we will have you in and out right away" you are doomed. If a doctor gives you a specific time something will happen, you better look for a hidden camera. No doubt you are on some practical joke show. 
When we got to the hospital at 2pm, a doctor met us because we had already been through a lot and A3's pediatrician insisted. This doctor cursed us with, "Don't worry this will be a quick procedure. We will make sure you are in and out. The surgery should take place by 4:00 and you will be home by 5:00."  Then another doctor met us in the room at 2:45 "We will call you up in just a few minutes."  Then a third doctor called to see it will be a little bit." 
Finally, at 7:00pm A3 was taken in for surgery. We were home by 9:30. 

4. A3 will not make a fun party girl. 
This kid terrified me as she woke up from being sedated. She was a two year old ball of anger. Nothing made her happy. Then we got home and she was bouncing off the walls and talking nonsense. She got mad because I wouldn't get in her crib with her... Then laughed until her eyes filled with tears. She was crazy. 

5. Having great friends and family close is the best thing, EVER.
While I was still gathering my thoughts after getting Mac's text, I had friends in my room comforting me, helping me, offering to give me a ride to meet up with Mac and A3, and basically doing my thinking for me. I had friends offering to come to the hospital to sit with me, checking on the rest of the A Team, and offering to take care of things tomorrow. We had family members pick up the girls, feed them, entertain them, drive them home, and get them ready for bed. We had family stop in to check on A3. We had family stop in and bring Mac ibuprofen. Thanks to our family and friends we were taken care of while we were taking care of A3. 

Tonight we learned a lot, but most important: DON'T EAT NICKELS! 

1 comment: