Friday, January 30, 2015

That Moment

That moment you sit down, look in the mirror, and see your head on your grandma's body...
Not that there is anything wrong with my grandma's body. I am sure it is quite average for someone in her 70's; and honestly, that is what I would want, to be quite average in my 70's. However; I am not in my 70's, so my 36 29 year old head on a 70-something body is not what I want. 

This happened to me a few months ago and I stopped looking in the mirror. I mean I still look in the mirror to make sure my hair is presentable and the food crumbs are off my face, but I stopped really looking in the mirror. It was easier not to see how I have changed over the years, even just the last year.

I know what I need to do get myself back to having the body of an average 30 something. I know what I have to change in order to fit comfortably back in my average size medium slightly out of style clothes.

  • I need to actually push play on all of those awesome Beach Body DVDs I buy. I need to listen my friend Shaun T. I need to get moving. I need to get outside, but that will have to wait until May and possibly June.
  • I need to eat better. No more corndogs for breakfast. This has happened more than I really should admit... No more daily visits to my McDonald's. No more eating food just because it is there. The teacher's workroom can be a dangerous place, especially when you work with people who are great cooks! 
  • I need more sleep. I have always been someone who needed a ton of sleep. Lately, I have been going to bed after 11 PM and getting up at 5AM. This is not enough sleep for me, especially when someone from the A Team wakes me up at 3AM.
  • I need to find a better way to deal with stress. Starbursts are not the answer.
  • I need to stop with the soda. Why in the world do I continue to drink that stuff that ends up hurting my stomach? I am stuck in a cycle where I stop drinking it, start drinking it, increase the number I have each day, drink 5+ sodas a day, end up doubled over in pain, stop drinking soda, start drinking it, increase the number...
  • I need to eat more vegetables; fries and potato chips don't count.
  • I need to eat more fruits; Skittles and Starbursts don't count.
  • I need to drink more water See Mrs. C, I did pay attention last year in your science class!
I know what I should do, but the problem is actually doing those things. Why can't I make myself stop with the soda? Why can't I go to bed earlier ok, so I have 3 perfectly good reasons why I am not going to bed earlier... Why can't I plan ahead and eat a real breakfast? Why don't I have the motivation to follow through? Why can't I love myself more than I love food?

I know I should be like Nike and "just do it." That was Nike, right? Starting today I am going to pick one of the things I need to do and just do it.  Then, once I have some success, I will add another until I have all of my need to's added. I am starting with drink more water. This one should be easiest to do! 

Except I will start tomorrow.  It is too late at night to be adding water to this 70 something body, my 30 something head told me so...

No comments:

Post a Comment